Thank you for joining me!! Feel free to stop in any time and see what's new!

It has been great for me to Blog about my journey through cancer and
I'm so grateful for all of you who are along for the ride with me! I'd love to hear from you any time...so feel free to email, call or leave a comment. I love feeling connected
and appreciate all the love!!

With my active treatment for breast cancer behind me, I'm feeling more confident then ever!! It's obvious the positive vibes make a difference!!

I AM TRULY GRATEFUL!!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Look Good...Feel Good!!

So yesterday my friend Kelly and I went to the GRRCC and participated in the "Look Good, Feel Good" program. It's this great program where volunteers come together (along with a lot of donated product) to teach Cancer patients how to work with their make-up and wigs. I learned a ton! I am not a make-up girl...most of the time I wear none...so I had a lot to learn yesterday! I got a lot of free stuff - make up and skin care products, along with a beauty (?) sleep cap. They talked a lot about handling make up and the risks of bacteria and infection. Who knew? I had no idea I should throw my mascara out after a month while I'm on chemo (or that normally you should throw your mascara out after three months). There was lots of discussion about washing your hands constantly and using a little spatula to put creams on the back of your hand and use it from there, rather than dipping your fingers into the pot.

I got a little book that has lots of tips on how to do your make up to hide those tired days, create new eyebrows (if I lose mine) and accentuate the eyes if/when my eyelashes fall out! The book also has some tips on tying scarves and provides a website that I think has a tutorial on how to tie scarves as well.

It was a pretty fun afternoon. I was definitely the youngest one in the bunch...a reminder that I'm considered young for the diagnosis. Kelly & I definitely brought the average age down!! At the end of the session they had some hats people had knit that we could choose from (and yes...I got two more hats). I got a purple one and a pink one with a big huge flower on the side of it. I'm not sure about this new hat, but Matt, Kelly & Brock all liked it! Thanks for joining me yesterday, Kelly!!



I've been thinking a lot about all the kids heading off to school this week after their summer holidays. Two of my favourite girls headed off to University this past weekend and I'm so excited for the adventures they have ahead. I know they both got moved in and are enjoying what Frosh Week brings! Brooklyn & Lauren...I'm so proud of you both!!

I had decided I wanted to sit on the porch and watch the procession of kids as they headed off to school yesterday morning. I was terribly disappointed when I got to watch only two kids in our neighbourhood make their way to school...it seems everyone else gets a ride on the first day!! I'll have to try again later this week! Alex found his way to Sir John A MacDonald yesterday...and hopefully again today...and from all accounts so far, this going to high school thing is going to be good!!

I missed a party this past weekend celebrating the 50th Anniversary of my friend Grace's parents. I know they had a great time celebrating 50 years of wedded bliss and I think that's amazing!! Much love to you both!! xoxo

I've really been enjoying some great little visits with family and friends and thank everyone for understanding my energy levels are often short lived. I have been struggling with the 'No Hugging' thing...I love to give and get a good hug! I have to keep reminding myself that it's just too dangerous when I have no immune system. So, you better hold onto your hugs because I'll be looking to collect as soon as I'm done!!

xoxoxoxox

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hey Sue: I am sending you an e-hug!! Can you feel it? It is so neat to be able to follow your journey. Nice to see a picture of you with Kelly. Say Hi to her for me. Keep the faith and stay strong.
Luv Jane L.