Hello Everybody!!
It has been a rough couple of days...I had my first chemo treatment on Thursday and within a few hours of getting home, I was feeling rough. Very nauseous and just feeling awful. We had a really rough night on Thursday night (thank goodness I have Matt!!) Yesterday I was back to the hospital to get some fluids injected via IV and some more anti-nausea drugs. I'm proud to report I haven't puked in 33 hours!!
I have to tell you how amazing everyone is at the Cancer Centre. Ann (pictured above with me giving me my first chemo treatment) was wonderful, as was Deb and Justine and the other nurses who stopped over to see how I was doing. Going back yesterday for some fluids, I felt like an old pro already!!
Anyway, today I'm feeling considerably better. Matt & I both got some great sleep last night and the nausea seems to be taking a break. I'm tired, and I have a minor headache. But other than that, I feel ok.
I know some of you have been wondering about the drugs, so I'll give you the short version of what I am taking:
I'm on the AC&T (high dose) chemo drugs. So the AC is Adriamycin (or Doxorubicin) and Cyclophosphamide. I get these two drugs for four treatments. The Adriamycin is red (bright red) and is injected via a big fat needle into the IV (that's what Ann is doing above). The Cychlophosphamide is just a clear drug that is administered through the regular IV. They also give me an anti-nausea drug via IV before any chemo drugs. When I'm done the four treatments of AC I switch over to the T part - Taxol (or Paclitaxel). I also have a needle the day after my chemo treatments (the nurse comes to the house for this) for Neulasta. The neulasta is to help stimulate the growth of white blood cells. I have three prescriptions for anti-nausea drugs. Two of these drugs (Ondansetron and Dexamethasone) I take the first few days after treatment. The third I can take at any time - every four hours - if I need it (Prochlorperazine). See...I wasn't kidding when I said I was learning a lot!!
I think I'm going to get my haircut and start thinking about some wig shopping...and for all you crazy people with crazy ideas, I think I'm going to try and stay as close to my normal look as possible...but I guess you never know!! Pictures to follow!!
Thank you to everyone who have been calling, sending emails, texts, and flowers. I am truly grateful for all the loving and am taking it all in!! Matt & I are heading out to get some fresh air today...it's going to feel great to get out of the house and not be heading in the direction of the hospital!!
xoxoxox
5 comments:
Glad you're feeling better--chemo is nasty but you're a champ! Did you have to wear the ice mitts and slippers? My mom had to wear them when she had chemo to prevent her finger and toe nails from falling off.
Good luck with round 2!
Sue, you are amazing! I think it is incredibly brave of you to be so honest and share so much of your journey with all of us!! Hugs to you and here's to more good days that you can get out and enjoy!!
Glad to hear you are feeling more normal. Today was a great day for getting some fresh air!
Kelly
Sue.. I'm thinking something wild and red for your new hair... come on, live it up!
xo
Sorry to hear it "hit you quick" BUT on a much more positive note.... I'm so glad your feeling better now.
Post a Comment