Thank you for joining me!! Feel free to stop in any time and see what's new!

It has been great for me to Blog about my journey through cancer and
I'm so grateful for all of you who are along for the ride with me! I'd love to hear from you any time...so feel free to email, call or leave a comment. I love feeling connected
and appreciate all the love!!

With my active treatment for breast cancer behind me, I'm feeling more confident then ever!! It's obvious the positive vibes make a difference!!

I AM TRULY GRATEFUL!!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Did you miss me??


I know, I know...it's been a few days since my last entry and you are wondering how I am and what I've been up to and if I got a wig...so hold on to your hats and let me fill you in!!

I had a super visit with my Mom. She arrived on Monday and left yesterday. We went to the GRRCC for a little "Intro to Chemo" class and a tour. I was able to show my mom the suite where I get my chemo. I know it let my Mom see what great hands I'm in and how many resources are available to me!! She also got to witness first hand that I do, in fact, have the best nurse ever with Matt. He takes awesome care of me and I know it let Mom go home feeling less worried about me. I know, she's a Mom, she's going to worry...at least she knows I'm doing really well because she's seen it for herself!!

My Mom and I did go to Hopespring (another amazing resource for Cancer patients in K-W) where I tried on a bunch of wigs (with the assistance of Irene) and came home with one. It was red and blond and brown and a little longer and puffier. And today, we took it back and got one that fits my face and style better (insert boring here). It was super fun to check out wigs with my Mom and try on all kinds of styles...it's just at the end of the day, I think I want to just be me. And I'm not really very crazy. Thank you so much to Irene who spent time with me not once, but twice this week, helping me find the one I want. And I just have to add that she encouraged me to come back if I change my mind again!! Wonder when that will get old for her??!!

I am feeling pretty good. I am stronger and have more energy in the evenings. I'm tired during the day and my attention span isn't always the best. I keep thinking I'm going to pick up a good book (I actually have two lenders ready for me on the table), but I haven't made it there yet. So far magazines and the newspaper seem to do me just fine! I'm tired because the chemo is killing off my blood cells and so my body has to make new ones. The white blood cells help me kill off infection. That's why I can't be around any sickies while I'm on chemo...my white blood cells are down and I don't have the same immune system to fight any crap with. I have been feeling some discomfort in my throat, kind of like heartburn. Chocolate milk helps. It's not there all the time, but when it is there, it makes me not want to eat or drink. And sometimes it makes things taste gross. I'm trying Tums to see if it helps. The red blood cells carry oxygen from your lungs through your body. So, when these cells are killed off, the oxygen in the blood is down, and you get tired while new cells are produced. Any medical people that would like to comment on the above, please feel free...I hope I have it right!!

I do have to take my temperature twice a day because the risk of infection is so high. So far so good on that front. Although I'm impatient with the thermometer at Matt's so I think I'm splurging for a new one. Seriously...how long should it take to read my temperature?? Anyway, even if I feel 100%, I still take my temperature and confirm nothing is wrong. I have strict instructions (from EVERYONE) that as soon as I have a temperature (38.3 c) that I have to head to the Cancer Centre (or the ER if it's after hours).

I have been hooked up with CCAC. They came last Friday after my chemo to give me a needle to help with the replenishment of the white blood cells. I had a case manager come to the house today to explain the other services that they are able to get for me. It really does seem never ending...and amazing!! The services and resources really do make you feel like you are in the best of hands.

I did learn something while at my Chemo Class with Mom that had me cursing. They keep talking about sugar free candies helping keep the mouth moist (the risk for mouth sores is huge...although I haven't experienced any yet). I had to ask "Why sugar free". This was a stupid thing to do. The answer is "bacteria thrives on sugar". Are you kidding me? I love sugar! There is little chance I can get through this journey without chocolate and ice cream. So ... stupid little mouth sores ... I will conquer you with salt and water or whatever it takes but I will still enjoy some sugar!!

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments on my new short due. It's very very short...just need a teeny tiny bit of shampoo to wash it. At this point it seems a little too short for me, and so probably will grow it a little longer when I can. But it is fun to try something new and it's great to have the thumbs up from Debbie that my head is shaped fairly well. Hey! Maybe I'll ditch the wig all together and just be bald or scarved for the next few months. Wonder how brave I really am...

I know this is a long entry and I appreciate all of you checking in for an update. If you have any questions or thoughts you want me to comment on, please feel free to email me or post a comment here and I'll chat about it in my next posting. There are no bad or stupid questions. If I don't feel like being public with the info, I'll still get back to you!

With love to all of you!

xoxoxo

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Yikes! No sugar?? I wonder if they make sugar-free chocolate jubees ;)

Mindy said...

I highly recommend the pink Life brand thermometer from Shoppers. It's not too long of a wait. And it's more accurate that the Vicks blue one. You pay a price for too quick.

I think you would look fabulous is a bright coloured scarf... maybe easier to pull off than a wild red wig! ;)

Mo said...

SuzieQ, you're constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad you're bloggin' and keep in touch with us all! I've heard that ginger can work well for the chemo nausea. Also, instead of sugar, ask if honey would be ok? Love ya lots!

Tracey said...

You and your Mom are so cute Sue!! Loving the new do! I do think you could pull off a funky do-rag though if you want to just bite the bullet and shave it off!! :)

So glad to have you blogging and keeping us all up to date. You are in my thoughts often!! Still sending you lots of strength!!

Unknown said...

Big Hugs and we are all thinking of you...Your hair looks great...its longer then mine !!! I love it !!!

Judy Beeksma said...

Dear Sweet Sue, You are my hero!!!
Your attitude is inspiring and I think that new hairdo is just FAB!!! You look very chic!!! It is great to see how many resources you have available to you and the great staff that are helping you along this journey. From a medical point of view, you got all that right. It is clear you are getting the right teaching...Look forward to you next update.

Unknown said...

Great to know you can still smile (and make other people smile) through these difficult days.
Hope to see you lounging on the front deck soon.
Melinda

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!! What about stuff with Splenda???
I will be on the look out for stuff that tastes like the real thing without tons of sugar!!!

Sonia said...

Hey Sue
Love the new do! Some people can really pull off short hair and you are one of those!
Thanks for all the updates - you do well to keep us all in the loop:).