Thank you for joining me!! Feel free to stop in any time and see what's new!

It has been great for me to Blog about my journey through cancer and
I'm so grateful for all of you who are along for the ride with me! I'd love to hear from you any time...so feel free to email, call or leave a comment. I love feeling connected
and appreciate all the love!!

With my active treatment for breast cancer behind me, I'm feeling more confident then ever!! It's obvious the positive vibes make a difference!!

I AM TRULY GRATEFUL!!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Less than 12 hours from now...

Yep...it's true. In less than 12 hours I'll be hooked up for my first chemo treatment. How's that for speedy service??!! I am overwhelmed with the amazing and speedy service that I am receiving from the GRRCC (that's Grand River Regional Cancer Centre...what can I say, I'm a sucker for acronyms!!)

So, I got a call at 4:00 pm today to confirm that I have my first treatment at 10:00 am tomorrow. Wow. Talk about cleaning up your desk fast! I feel bad for the poor folks who got some last minute (can you say speed of lightning) training ... or in the case of Sue, a note on her desk! Thank you so much to all my friends at Arca, who are willing to jump in and help me out in so many ways!! Keep those work fires burning my fellow co-workers, I'll be back before you know it!! Special thanks to those who sign my cheque for your understanding, support and use of a laptop while I'm off. I love this sitting on the couch while blogging thing...a girl could get used to this!!

Back to tomorrow's appointment...here's the scoop...my appointment for the chemo is at 10:00 am. But before I have chemo, I meet with the pharmacist to learn about the drugs I've been prescribed (both the actual IV drugs for chemo, along with the pills I'll have to swallow). There are tons of them...and I can tell you more about them when I know more about them myself!!

The chemo should take about an hour and a half to administer. Matt is taking me to tomorrow's appointment. It's good to have two ears listening to what they tell me and since I can't drive the day of chemo, it's good to have a driver. Hope he doesn't mind too much if I puke in his new white truck!! ha ha ha Come on, I have to find some fun somewhere!! Anyway, back to the chemo. I can expect to lose my hair (every last morsel...even my eyelashes) within 2-3 weeks of my first chemo appointment. So I have called my friend Debbie to see if she can cut my hair short for me. I figure it'll be better to have short hairs fall out than long ones. My sidekick Matt thinks it would be funny to grab two large tuffs of hair from the side of my head and say "You're driving me crazy, I'm pulling my hair out!" He thinks he's funny!! Correction, he thinks he's hilarious. Anyway, they tell me I should shop for a wig before chemo because the chemo can make your scalp sensitive. Well..they didn't leave me much time for wig shopping, did they?? Hoping I'll feel well enough this weekend to give it some thought.

Speaking about side effects, the list is long...suffice it to say you'll have some interesting reading in the future. Maybe I should consider a "Poop Warning"!!

The last thing to tell you about tonight is that I will be having one more test. An MRI on both breasts. We can't get a breast MRI in K-W, so I think I'm heading to Mississauga for this one!! And yes, I'll let you know when it's been scheduled.

Well my friends, I'm off to bed. A girl needs her beauty sleep before her first chemo treatment. The camera is packed...I smell a kodak moment on the horizon!!

xoxo

6 comments:

Judy Beeksma said...

Sue...You are absolutely amazing!!! Will be thinking of you lots in the morning...Take care and look forward to your next update.

Heab00 said...

Dear Sue. It is the end of the 5th Aug here in Oz and let me tell you that the day goes by just fine and dandy! Consider bandanas/scarves too - because with your gorgeous face and those stunning eyes *wow* it might be nice to be bold and have some time without the distraction of hair! It will grow back soon enough. Love, big humungous hugs and best wishes. Heather & Steve xo

Leanne said...

hope your day goes smoothly...a bucket in the truck might be a good idea! lol
xo

Uncle Dave said...

Leanne filled me in on your journey and I want you to know my seat belt is on, The engine has warmed up and we are ready to travel with you.
With your great attitude and the love of friends and family I know there is a safe landing ahead.

Tracey said...

Girl, you amaze me!! I think it is awesome how you are tackling this head on. You will most definitely beat this disease into submission!!! Thinking of you since as I type this you are in your chair getting your first treatment. Still sending you strength!! xx

Laurene said...

thought of you and sent warm fuzzies from 10 -12 this morning. Last night was great - so many laughs - and they say laughter is the best medicine. Hugs!