Thank you for joining me!! Feel free to stop in any time and see what's new!

It has been great for me to Blog about my journey through cancer and
I'm so grateful for all of you who are along for the ride with me! I'd love to hear from you any time...so feel free to email, call or leave a comment. I love feeling connected
and appreciate all the love!!

With my active treatment for breast cancer behind me, I'm feeling more confident then ever!! It's obvious the positive vibes make a difference!!

I AM TRULY GRATEFUL!!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Just when you thought Exercise was a good thing...

So, the University of Waterloo has a Well Fit program that they run for people who are going through treatment for cancer. The idea being that exercise and fitness are a good thing to help in your recovery. I have been quite excited about this and in 100% agreement that activity and exercise will help me stay strong and fight harder. Last week I went to have an evaluation done. They tested my strength and endurance (including taking my blood pressure and heart rate several times while I was riding the bike and increasing the difficulty). This morning I went for my first class, and to see the exercises that they have picked out for me. There were different weight/core type exercises and then I finished up with some cardio (on the treadmill). It knocked me out! I thought I was doing great, got through all my exercises pretty good and did fifteen minutes on the treadmill. I am set up with a monitor for my heart rate and I have to keep an eye on the monitor to make sure my heart rate doesn't go above 120. I failed. I had a really hard time keeping my heart rate that low. When I was done on the treadmill we did some stretches, and it was during the stretches that I realized I wasn't feeling very good. Light headed, dizzy and ready to pass out. I sat down and had some water and felt the sweat wash over me. The people at Well Fit are awesome, and kept a close eye on me, my pulse and my blood pressure and after about ten or fifteen minutes I was ok to leave. Freaky. It's one of those frustrating moments during all this when you realize you can't do what you could before. When you realize you have to stop and reassess and remember what you're body is going through. Yet another learning curve for me!! I'll just take today as my starting point and move on from here, with a better idea of what to expect.

I did receive some very yummy goodies (and a great visit) from my friend Firmina today. Love love love the tortoises you brought with you, Firmina!! Thanks for coming and having lunch with me today!! And special thanks to Jakob and Lukas for the yummy cookies that came with you too!!

Special thanks to Alex for teaching me how to work the multitude of remote controls we now have for the new TV - it's awesome! And now that I know how to work all the components I'm good to go!! I like it when all the buttons work the way I think they're supposed to. And this might sound like a "girl" thing to say, but who knew HD would make such a difference??!!

My hair continues to fall out by the handful. The shower is the worse...but even just touching my head means a bunch is going to fall out. I figure by the end of the week there will be very little left. What I can't figure out is why the hair on my legs isn't falling out as quickly. I mean seriously, I am totally looking forward to having soft smooth hairless legs with no effort from me!!

I am on a mission to find myself the right head covering...I'm leaning toward a beanie cap but haven't gone shopping for one yet. Hopefully tomorrow if the energy levels are ok and I can figure out where to go!!

I want to give a shout out to some people close to me who are experiencing their own challenges and adventures right now. I know you are worried about me and I sure do appreciate all the love and support you are sending my way. Know that it is coming back to you from me as you work through your own challenges. And just like me, you will conquer!!

xoxoxxoxo

9 comments:

Judy Beeksma said...

Sue, I just love your energy and attitude...Keep goin girly!!! Good luck with the next class too.

Kelly said...

at first I thought that said Wii Fit classes. Those would be fun!

jenn said...

so proud of you! love ya g/f

Sending you some email love
xo

Unknown said...

Wii Fit classes.. hum you may be on to something, Kelly. :)

Take it easy Sue. Glad you're doing the program and that they are all over your heart rate, etc. It's an awakening but hang in there. xo

Leanne said...

you don't have to "give 'er" on the treadmill. :) be nice to yourself xo

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue,
Did you get out to look at hats today?? You might be able to find something funky and cute in St.Jacobs.
If you want to check it out, i am up for a wee road trip!

xoxoxox
Patti

charlene said...

Mwah! Thinking about you often.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you lots, Sue!

Steph

john_f3@hotmail.com said...

Love you SuzyQ. What a gal!