Yes...the big day has come and I have had my first appointment with my Medical Oncologist. She is really super nice and her nurse, Pat, is also wonderful. I have to admit I was a little nervous heading into the appointment today, but I feel really good about it now! Both Dr. Nadia Califaretti and Pat were awesome with the information and making sure both Matt & I understood the situation.
First the really good news!!! All of the scans and tests have come back clear!! That means there is no visible sign that the cancer has spread. I'm very very happy about this. I know that this does not mean that the cancer cells have not packed their bags and moved on...but it does mean that the chemo will (hopefully) blast any of those wandering bastards!! And it also means that the MUGA scan I had last week showed I have a healthy, strong pumping heart that is ready to take on the chemo drugs!
The other big news today is that my chemo treatments are going to start in the very near future. Either the end of this week or the beginning of next week. I was surprised to hear it could be this week, and am grateful we can get going so quickly!! I will hear from the Cancer Centre tomorrow with my appointment and than it's full speed ahead. I have been armed with prescriptions, information, advice and suggestions...and it's all spinning around in my head!! It is amazing to have so much information because in my humble opinion, information is power! And both Matt & I are all about understanding what is happening and what is going to happen. Yes, I know that's a big surprise to some of you!!
Here's how the chemo treatments will work. Me and my hired help go to the Cancer Centre for my treatments. They hook me up to an IV and I sit there for about an hour and a half. When I'm done, I get to go home. I am not allowed to drive myself. I will have one treatment every two weeks and I will receive 8 treatments. For those of you who struggled through Grade 3 math, that means 16 weeks of chemo...and chemo side effects.
It also means that I will have to stop working pretty soon. The doctor confirmed today that I will likely not be up for working once chemo starts, and even if I am, may prefer to work from home (especially since my immune system will be compromised by the chemo and I don't want to be any where near any sickies - or any potential sickies for that matter). Note to each and every one of you that I love and am very happy to have with me on this journey - Please do not come to see if you are sick, have a cold, or feel under the weather in any way. I wish you a speedy recovery and when you feel 100%, you are welcome to come see me!!
Well...I know some of you have been waiting for this update, so I'll hit post now. Feel free to email me or comment with any questions that you have and I will make sure I address them (if I can) tomorrow. I will have more information (hopefully) for you tomorrow when I know when my first treatment is scheduled for.
Here we go...
xoxoxo
9 comments:
I am amazed and thrilled at the speed in which this is happening. I just keep thinking...quick, quick...get it!!
Sounds like you are in the very best hands. xo
Full speed ahead is right. The sooner you let these nasty cells get to know who they are up against, the better!!! Get to it and get this crap over with. Good to hear that there was some good news today...yahoo!! xoxoxox
I just learned about your diagnosis from Mindy's blog. You're an inspiration to us all--your positivity shows us that no matter how bad we think things are there's always hope and love. We're all rooting for you!
Whatever....whenever.
As long as I'm healthy, right???
Hugs
We're so happy you got an early treatment schedule. You're a great advocate for the positive approach to the inevitable.
Keep it up! Joyce & Bill XXXOOO
insert Rocky theme here ( I'll sing for your benefit hehe) do do dododo do do dododo ... "getting strong now" LOL
So glad the nasties are all in one place and that things are moving along quickly. Hugs chickie. Bring it! ;)
Great news on the scan !! Big hugs from Me Dave and of course our famous dog Elvis !!
So glad you've got the go-ahead and that treatment is happening quickly. You'll have to let me know what you need during your chemo treatments... scrap therapy... company.. chicken soup.. you name it! Good luck girlie!!!
Just a comment re Kendall's comment "we are all rooting for you"... um ... that doesn't translate too well for Australians!! LOL! But if it helps Sue then ... what the heck! Sorry I couldn't resist that bit of cross cultural humour!! :)
Seriously though Kendall, I couldn't agree more... Sue you are truely an inspiration. Love, massive hugs, warmest wishes, xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Post a Comment