Thank you for joining me!! Feel free to stop in any time and see what's new!

It has been great for me to Blog about my journey through cancer and
I'm so grateful for all of you who are along for the ride with me! I'd love to hear from you any time...so feel free to email, call or leave a comment. I love feeling connected
and appreciate all the love!!

With my active treatment for breast cancer behind me, I'm feeling more confident then ever!! It's obvious the positive vibes make a difference!!

I AM TRULY GRATEFUL!!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Working Up a Sweat!!

So, I thought I should show you what exactly it is that I do when I go to fitness!! I took my camera with me today and Jeff (a University of Waterloo student who volunteers with the program) kindly took a bunch of pictures of me exercising!!

I'm pretty sure I don't know the technical terms for most of my exercises without my cheat sheet in front of me...so consider these "best guesses".


This is a chest pull-down. I grab the bar above my head, lean back a bit and pull it down to my chest. I could probably up the weight on this exercise...
That's Maddy beside me. She sets up our programs, cheers us on and makes us work harder!!


I have no idea what this exercise is called. I call it my "Tree Hugging" exercise. I lie back on the bench with my arms out to my sides holding the weights. I bring the weights up above me and am supposed to have my arms like I'm hugging a tree. I find it hard to keep my wrists straight for this one...


This exercise is done on a cable/pulley machine. The pulley has a sling attached, and I have to stand on one foot, and put the other foot in the sling (you can see how high my foot has to go - chest level), and you push down with that foot to the floor (almost) and than push backward. I'm increasing my weight on this machine next time. I find it sort of awkward.



I think this is called a latereal raise. Starting with my arms to my side, I lift them straight up (with arms out) and lift the weights to shoulder height. Looks like I need to work on this one a bit since my arms are above shoulder height...oops!!



Kind of like a bicep curl, this is a hammer curl. The difference between a bicep curl and a hammer curl is how you hold your hands. With a hammer curl, your wrists are turned to the inside (i.e. next to your body). Looks like my wrists didn't stay straight on this one either...look at how beneficial these pictures are turning out to be!!


Yep...don't know what this one is called either...but we increased the weight today by one pound and HOLY CRAP!! Who knew a change by one pound would make such a difference. Silly me telling Maddy it felt a little light!! Anyway, I have my elbow bent and then straighten it out behind me.



Ah yes...the side bridge. My new nemesis!! I'm up to 55 seconds (on each side)...but that means I now have to progress from doing it from my knees to my feet. That means my time is going to drop dramatically since it'll be way harder...




I think I mentioned that when I go to fitness, I wear a heart rate monitor. This would be a photo of my monitor right after I finish the side bridge. Holy crap!! I think my target heart rate is supposed to be 90-120. Yep...gotta love that side bridge!



I guess every good exercise program has some lunges!!

I actually do these at the very beginning of my program...sort of a warm up of sorts!






Lovely shot of me doing leg kicks. I put my hands under my lower back (for support)and than start with my legs apart, and then cross them. The next time I cross them I switch which leg is on top. The higher my legs, the easier it is (note how high my legs are!!).



I finish up with a little cardio on the bike.

Thanks to Maddy, Stephanie and all the volunteers who work with me each time I go to make my program perfect for me!! You sure have helped me to enjoy something I usually have nightmares about!!

xoxoxxooxox

5 comments:

Leanne said...

You are the bravest girl I know...never mind the chemo...photos in the gym!!!?? Amazing.

Elizabeth said...

I second that motion - pictures at the gym!! You would not get withing 2 miles of me with a camera if I was at the gym!!!!!! You GO girl - you make me so PROUD!
Love Ya xoxoxoxox

Sandy said...

Soon not only tree hugging exercises at the gym...but... hugging those who love you!!!
You are awesome and I love you!!!
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Loved our visit today!! and...love that you are feeling and looking pretty damn good!!
i am so looking forward to meeting your mom. Hopefully you can talk her into meeting all the glass bags who love you!!

jenn said...

fabulous!!! You looked great today my friend!!! xoxo