Thank you for joining me!! Feel free to stop in any time and see what's new!

It has been great for me to Blog about my journey through cancer and
I'm so grateful for all of you who are along for the ride with me! I'd love to hear from you any time...so feel free to email, call or leave a comment. I love feeling connected
and appreciate all the love!!

With my active treatment for breast cancer behind me, I'm feeling more confident then ever!! It's obvious the positive vibes make a difference!!

I AM TRULY GRATEFUL!!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

A New Tattoo....


How do you like it? I’m kidding…I didn’t get this new tattoo…but I did get five new tattoos yesterday at my radiation planning appointment. They’re each about the size of a freckle…and they are used as markers for the area requiring radiation. It is important that each time I go I get my treatment in the exact same place and these tattoo markers will help ensure this happens. The tattoos also mark the perimeter of the treatment and since in most cases you can’t have radiation in the same place twice, it may be important to have these markers for future reference. They also set me up with a mold that I will “lie” in each time I go for radiation. I had to lie on this “bean bag” type pillow – just my head and shoulders and I had my arms above my head. They get me in the exact position they need me in, and than they start taking the air out of the pillow…as the air comes out, the pillow hardens and they have the exact shape they need for me. It was very cool (and looked very strange when we were done!!) They then put me through a CT Scan machine, but with no dye injected into me. This scan was for treatment purposes (i.e. help determine where to send the radiation), as opposed to locate or diagnose a problem like a normal CT Scan. It was easy peasy and it was this scan that helped the lovely ladies who were working with me yesterday know where to put the tattoos.

So what does all this mean? It means my appointment with my radiation oncologist, Dr. Rachakonda, went really well yesterday. He (like my other doctors) is VERY happy with the pathology results from my surgery. Sure am glad I responded so well to the chemotherapy!! And even though it looks like we got all the cancer with the chemo/surgery combination, it’s still important that we proceed with radiation therapy. I will go for five weeks, and I go every day (Monday to Friday). Each radiation treatment only takes a few minutes, so hopefully I’m in and out of the Cancer Centre in half an hour or so. I got a special parking pass since I’ll be there every day (yes…I still have to pay for parking, but at least I know I won’t have to hunt down a parking spot in the garage!!). They took my picture yesterday so they are able to recognize me when I’m sitting in reception and waiting for my treatment. Good idea, I’ll feel like they know me!! After coming every day for five weeks, I’m sure they won’t need the picture reference anymore!!

It looks like my treatments will begin in about two weeks (I'm just waiting for the call with my first appointment date and time). Dr. Rachakonda will review the pictures (scan pictures, not camera pictures) they took yesterday and determine my treatment plan. Then the radiation technician will administer it each day. Dr. Rachakonda will check in with me once a week at my treatments to see how I'm doing and help manage any skin irritation I might be experiencing. The girls I met yesterday were so nice I have a really good feeling about how well this will go!!

I have a couple of stories I want to share with you, starting with a story about Jade. She is a lovely seven year old who lives across the street. She is quite bright and chatty and I find her really charming. Late summer or early fall, I was outside on the front lawn (hat on my head so as to not frighten the small children in the ‘hood) and along came Jade. “You look different”, she said to me. “Is it because I don’t have much hair anymore?”, I asked her. “Yes”, she answered. “Well…I got sick and have to take some very strong medicine. This medicine makes my hair fall out. When I’m better and don’t have to take the medicine anymore, my hair will grow back.” She thought about my answer for a minute or so and than said “I’m really glad you have a lot of hats!” Ah, out of the mouth of babes! This week I was walking to the mailbox when I passed Jade walking home from school. She stopped to talk to me and asked if my hair was growing back yet. I told her it was and asked if she wanted to see. She nodded so I took off my touque. Jade’s response was “Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh!!” So great!

The second story is about a conversation I had with Matt earlier this week. We were shopping at Conestoga Mall and I was telling Matt about bathing suits you can buy to wear when you have a prosthetic. Matt didn’t understand why I would need a special bathing suit just because I have a fake boob. I told him I didn’t really want my prosthetic floating around in the pool, or hanging around near my belly button, and these special bathing suits had a pocket that the prosthetic would fit in holding it in place. His response “Why can’t you just velcro it into place?” And yes girls, he was serious. Apparently, he doesn’t understand why a big strip of velcro might not look appealing…or perhaps his thought was to attach the velcro to my skin…men!

I had a lovely lunch with my friend, Firmina, yesterday. Thanks so much for lunch my friend! It was great to see you and to catch up! And congrats on how well your wrist is healing!!

I am over the top excited about my day tomorrow. My friend, Jodi, is taking me for a manicure (a belated birthday present) now that I can enjoy a spa treatment again! Then Matt and I are heading to Toronto to stay at the Delta Chelsea and to go out for dinner with Matt’s fellow co-workers at Barberian’s Restaurant. I can’t wait. My first overnight away in six months…and I think I might even have a drink too!! Since it’s been so long since I consumed any alcohol, I’m sure lightweight doesn’t begin to describe me!!

Thanks for your patience waiting for this post. I know for some of you, it’s very difficult to be patient if I don’t post immediately…sometimes I just need to gather my thoughts before I can put them to paper (or internet as the case may be). And when we got home late afternoon yesterday, I was very tired and needed to rest as well. In my efforts to stay strong and positive (as most of you know, it’s not been in my nature to wallow through this process)…I need to make sure I take the time to understand what’s going on for me!

xoxoxoxoxox

6 comments:

Elena said...

Sue
I am so happy for you! Thanks for sharing all the details about the radiation and the parking- will need to remember that! I hope you have a great day tomorrow- you so deserve it. I love the story about Jade! Enjoy that spa, it will feel absolutely amazing! Way to go Sue!!!! I am all warm and fuzzy inside for you! I will call next week for that walk!

Elena said...

ps... I didn't know that the tattoes were permanent...

Leanne said...

you make this all sound easy. keep smiling...the finish line is just around the corner!

Sandy said...

Personally, I think you should consider that great "Matthew" tattoo!!!Now...where should you put it?
Love You, you are amazing!!

Mo said...

Sue, I can't read your blog without crying and smiling! :) Can't see a daisy without thinking of you. Hoping the radiation goes as smoothly as possible for you. We'll keep on praying for you! XO

Katherine said...

I just spent some time reading several of your posts. Your positive attitude shines through in every post . I'm honored to be among your followers. I will keep you in my prayers and send love and light your way . Hugs, Katherine