Thank you for joining me!! Feel free to stop in any time and see what's new!

It has been great for me to Blog about my journey through cancer and
I'm so grateful for all of you who are along for the ride with me! I'd love to hear from you any time...so feel free to email, call or leave a comment. I love feeling connected
and appreciate all the love!!

With my active treatment for breast cancer behind me, I'm feeling more confident then ever!! It's obvious the positive vibes make a difference!!

I AM TRULY GRATEFUL!!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Some REALLY Good News!!!

Ok...I haven't had much to say for the past two weeks...but today I have lots to say so you'll want to make sure you have a couple of minutes to give to me and my blog before you start reading!! Don't worry...it's REALLY GOOD NEWS!!!

Two weeks ago when I was at the Oncologist (just before my last chemo treatment), she told me my blood tests from earlier that day showed that my calcium levels were higher than normal. She quizzed me on my milk/cheese/yogurt intake and if I was taking any supplements or daily vitamins. I was a big NO on the supplements and vitamins and don't consume much in the way of milk, cheese or yogurt so we were a little baffled. Dr. Caliaretti was mildly concerned because a spike in calcium levels can be an indication that the cancer had moved to my bones. She asked me if I had any aches or pains, and I said I did, but had related it to the darn Taxol (chemo drug I was on at that time that is known to cause the muscle aches and pains). So, she decided to send me for a few tests just to make sure. Last week I went for a bone scan and CT Scan (like I had before chemo started) and I also had more blood work done yesterday before my appointment with the doctor.

At my appointment with Dr. Califaretti, she gave me the all clear!! There is no indication of cancer in the bones and my blood work showed my calcium levels were back to normal! YAHOO!!! The nodes also showed that they were NOT enlarged (more good news!!) We have been trying to figure out what might have caused the increase in calcium, and wonder if it might have something to do with the Vitamin water I had been drinking. It was often hard to get plain old water down, but I love Vitamin water, so I had been drinking at least a bottle a day. We checked the label and it has calcium in it, so maybe that's why my test results showed an increase...not really sure and strange that it hadn't affected previous blood tests. In any event, I've had a BIG HUGE grin on my face since my doctor's appointment yesterday!!

I also got the results from the MRI I had a few weeks ago. There is no indication of anything evil in the right boob (insert another yahoo here!!) and the tumour is showing to be about 2.5 cms in the left boob! It's amazing how much smaller it is now. In fact, they can't really tell from the MRI if the 2.5 cm is cancer, or dead cells (they'll find that out when they take the breast and do the pathology on it!!). Wouldn't it be amazing if that report showed no signs of cancer?? Because the chemo drugs can cause scar tissue as it kills the cells, they can't tell exactly what the "tumor" is from the MRI. The MRI did show some tentacles that come off the tumour and they're as long as 5.5 cms. Sure makes me feel good about the decision to do the full mastectomy!! No way are we leaving any of that behind!

I had to ask Dr. Califaretti if my last chemo treatment was a little heavier than the previous treatments since I've had a harder time getting over this last one. She said "No...they're all the same. However, your body is tired. It has been through a lot with eight treatments, only two weeks apart and with the accumulative effect, it takes a little longer each time to recover. Your body needs a rest!" (Sheesh...it feels like all I've been doing is resting!!). Anyway, this makes sense to me, and along with the little bit of stress I was carrying while I did the bone/ct scan and awaited the results, I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself that it's taking a little bit longer to recover!! To that end, I have been feeling a lot better the last couple of days...still on the tired side and my appetite is still not what it was...but I have great faith I'm heading down the right path!!

Yesterday was such a great day! I was so estactic to get such good news! I think it might have been the best day I have had since this stinking journey began!

So, in case you were wondering if your prayers, positive thoughts and good wishes are working...here's the proof!! I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for continuing to send me your healing thoughts and prayers. I continue to be so truly blessed!

xoxoxoxoxoxo

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Doing a happy dance over here!!! How fantastic Sue!!! xoxo

Kelly said...

So so so so happy for your news Sue!

Leanne said...

EXCELLENT!!! :)

Sandy said...

Wahoo to the power of prayer!!! and the power of Sue!!!

Unknown said...

Great news Sue!!

Kim said...

Loads of love and big smiles being sent your way Sue :) xo

jenn said...

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that is awesome!!!! See you later this week and we'll CELEBRATE :)

Love ya!!!

xo