Hi, this is Matt the scribe/nurse/personal chef/cabana boy. I know many of you have been following Sue's journey and how much it has meant to her. So I/we wanted to be sure to catch you up as soon as we could today after her successful surgery. Sue's doing well! ... so here we go!!
Sue, Sandra and I had an early morning. We were off to St. Mary's hospital at 5:30 am to be there for 6 am. We arrived on the second floor at 5:50 and had no wait, registered immediately and were whisked right into the day surgery unit. The clerk, Nancy, escorted us to the bed that Sue would leave from to go to surgery and recover in after surgery ... bed 26. Nancy was also the fashion consultant who left the "beautiful" backless gown along with a "lovely" housecoat.
Our first visitor in the day surgery unit was Michele the RN who hooked up the IV. After being asked by many people what her name and birth date was and what procedure she was having done, we knew they had it right ... it is actually comforting to know that they confirm, re-confirm, re-re-confirm everything. They go so far as spelling her last name each time as they read it from her wrist band. The OR nurse Monica and the OR attendant Lisa were next to join us and reassured us that they would take good care of Sue. Sue was wheeled through the operating suite doors at 7:40 am and Sandra and I bid her adieu for a couple hours. Sue had a determined look of someone who was "in the zone" on her face. It was hard to watch her wheel away but I was confident because of all the appointments we had gone through in preparation for this day. Sandra and I retired to the comfort (and it is a beautiful facility after the renovations) of the waiting room where we were told Dr Judges would find us if he wanted to report after the surgery. Afterwards we learned that Sue's surgery started at 8:10 and completed at 9:53. At 8:15, Sandra and I visited Tim Horton's for some nourishment (chocolate dip donut and some bagels).
In the OR Sue met 2 other nurses, the anesthesiologist, and Dr Judges. After walking to the OR table, she let the anesthesiologist know she was "easily nauseated" and he said he would do his best to help her with that. Dr Judges also said, "Are you ready for this?" to which Sue replied, "Yep, let's go!". She was out within minutes of getting settled in the OR under many warm blankets provided by the lovely nurses.
At 10:40 the pager went off and I thought I was going in to talk with Dr Judges, but they told me Sue was out of recovery. So I walked to bed 26 and there she was, bright-eyed and welcoming. I said, "You did it babe!" and she said ,"Yep, I did. Can I have some water." I got to look at her dressing and the 2 drains and all looked good. We found out that Sue had a tube down her throat to help with breathing during the surgery which caused a bit of a sore throat.
The CCAC representative visited and described the service (likely 4 visits at home starting tomorrow) from the Comcare nurse.
Then the post-op nurse came by to describe Dr. Judges orders, the shoulder exercises, pain medication, and taught us how to empty and measure the drains.
Over the course of the next 2 1/2 hours Sue had more water and 1/4 of a digestive cookie. She caught a little sleep.
We left the hospital at 1:30ish and arrived home and she has been in and out of sleep and eating and drinking a little.
I feel inadequate as a fill-in blogger because Sue is such a good, eloquent and humorous writer. Have no fear, Sue will return to her regular column in a couple days.
Thanks from me for all of the love and support you have shown. It has been very meaningful.
Sue says, "Hey!"
Matt
12 comments:
Matt you rocked this blog...btw hello, I'm Leanne..nice to meet you! Just keep taking those little pills...before you know it you won't need them...but for now just TAKE them!
xoxoxo
phew.... I am glad that it is over for you Sue and now you can concentrate on healing. The funny thing about the breathing tube is that I didn't even know that they did that until my brother mentioned it to me last week! Drink hot ginger tea and honey,it helps! Take it easy my new friend
Elena
Way to go friend!! It seems like it was pretty smooth sailing according to Matt's communication.
Thanks Matt for being so prompt in getting word out to all of us.
The glass girls send our love. We toasted you at lunch!!
Much love and speedy recovery!!
Great job on the blog update Matt.
I'm glad to hear it went well today. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Matt that is quite the catchy title! Don't sell youself shor, that was a good blog post.
I'm glad the surgery was a success and I'm sending healing thoughts to Sue.
Matt and Sue, you guys ROCK!!!
Sue, I am so glad it is over and you did so well, no doubt in my mind, you ARE a winner! Get lots of rest and let Matt the scribe/nurse/personal chef/cabana boy take good care of you. All the bright, healing, loving light coming your way.
Take good care,
Barb xo
Really glad things went well! Thanks Matt for taking such good care of this special person. Sue -Love ya!
Matt, what a wonderful blog! Thanks for updating all of us and we are SO HAPPY to hear things went well for you Sue. You are amazing and there was never any doubt you would be a true inspiration though all of this. I am blessed to know such a wonderful gal. Both you and Matt are such a great blessing to one another and it has been amazing to get to see what kind of supportive journey you have had together. Sue, we send you all our love and blessings. We are thinking of you every step of the way and wish you a speedy recovery. Take care of one another and may the Christmas spirit fill your homes and may you enjoy all the love that continues to surround you over the holidays and into 2011. Merry Christmas to you and Matt and to all of your amazing friends and family :) xo Kim, Mark, Avery and Ian
Thanks for the update. I have been thinking of Sue all weekend. I am glad the surgery went well. Take good care Sue.
Great news Sue!!!! Surprisingly, I didn't think it was that painful either. I went off the percs the same day, but if you do, make sure you still take some advil or tylenol extra strength because it helps reduce the swelling. Ice packs were my best friend for the first week and make sure you keep stretching your arm up and over to help keep the pectoral muscles moving (they get stiff)! Thanks for the update :)
Big sigh of relief that this chapter is over and now you can concentrate on the recovery.
Thanks Matt for the thorough blog; so glad you're there taking care of our girl.
Love to you both!
Grace
Hey Suebee
THe girls and I are so happy to hear that you are doing so well and are in great hands...Matt we love you tons for looking after Auntie Sue...they say that they can hardly wait to give her great big hugs...we love you all tons...The Peever's from Cobden
Post a Comment