Today I found out my friend Bernie passed away on Monday.
One of the best things I did when I got diagnosed with cancer, and started my treatments, was sign up for the Well-Fit program at the University of Waterloo. It was a safe haven for me in every way...it was sterile, everyone else there knew (through their own experiences) what I was going through, and it got me out of the house on days when I didn't want to get off the couch or see anyone. It just felt good to be with people who understood the whole diagnosis/treatment process...and to exercise and be active in some way was great too!
But the greatest part was the wonderful people I met. The staff at Well-Fit are awesome, for sure, but it was my fellow survivors who gave me so much. They understood, they supported, they made me smile and believe too. One of my favourites was my friend Bernie. He had a huge smile on his face every day. We rode our stationary bikes side by side and talked about our cancers, our oncologists, our families and what we did for a living and for fun. Bernie was a big Disney World fan and when he found out I was going last summer, he couldn't tell me enough about what I had to do and see while I was there. He told me where to go to meet Mickey!!
My thoughts are with Bernie's wife Sheila and his family. I feel so blessed for having met such a wonderful, positive man. I thank him for helping me stay positive during such a difficult time and for always having a hug ready. I am definitely better for having known him. God bless, Bernie.
xoxoxxoxoxoxoxxoxo
1 comment:
I'm sorry for your loss, Sue. Bernie sounded like a wonderful friend! Big hugs to you. xo
Steph
Post a Comment