Thank you for joining me!! Feel free to stop in any time and see what's new!

It has been great for me to Blog about my journey through cancer and
I'm so grateful for all of you who are along for the ride with me! I'd love to hear from you any time...so feel free to email, call or leave a comment. I love feeling connected
and appreciate all the love!!

With my active treatment for breast cancer behind me, I'm feeling more confident then ever!! It's obvious the positive vibes make a difference!!

I AM TRULY GRATEFUL!!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

New Canadian Citizen!!

On Friday Matt & I had the privilege of attending our first Canadian Citizenship Ceremony.  It was a wonderful (and quite emotional) experience.  Our friend (and neighbour) Adolfo was presented with his Canadian Citizenship.  We are so happy and proud of (and for) him!

The presiding Judge Sharon Robertson was excellent. She was animated and did such a great job with the ceremony and making everyone feel comfortable and welcome.  There were 46 people (from 22 countries) receiving their citizenship and she took the time to speak to each one of them, as did our MP Peter Braid.  

Adolfo with Judge Sharon, Peter Braid and his sons Gabe & Alex.
Before the ceremony started, the clerk walked us all through how the ceremony would proceed, when we should stand, etc.  The place was packed and he told us it was the fullest ceremony he'd ever seen.  When it came time for the new citizens to take their oath, Judge Robertson encouraged anyone who wanted to renew their oath to join in, including those that had been born in Canada and may have never had the opportunity to say the oath before.  Matt & I both joined in.  I should clarify that I tried to say the oath, with tears streaming down my face and my voice cracking it was a little more difficult then I might have anticipated.  I won't tell you what happened when we sang O Canada!!

It was a really great experience.  I am so proud to be Canadian and that pride grew exponentially at the Citizenship ceremony.  I totally understand why a person would choose to become Canadian!!

The fun continued when we were invited to join Adolfo and his family (including his lovely wife Heather - who is my awesome tennis partner!!) at a "new citizen" party on Friday night.  It was a lot of fun to raise a beer and eat some good old deep fried Canadian food in celebration of a fantastic achievement!

Decked out in a new tuque and scarf!
We got Adolfo a new Canadian tuque and scarf to keep him warm this winter!  He's already experienced many Canadian winters...but somehow I suspect his first as a Canadian citizen will be the best one yet!!  Congratulations, Adolfo!!

xoxoxoxooxoxoxo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What an absolutely wonderful story and experience you all had.

Conmgratulations Adolfo! WELCOME

xoxo, Sue

Grace said...

Great story! I've never had the honour of attending a citizenship ceremony; the energy and excitement must have been palpable! So happy for our new citizens! Congratulations Adolfo!

charlene said...

I love that you're as big a marshmallow as I am.I teared up just READING your post-can't imagine what a sobbing mess I would've been there in person. Congrats to Adolfo and his family.