I decided about a month ago that I wanted to participate in the Relay for Life. I wasn't quite ready to get a whole team together to do the 12 hour relay, but I felt the need to do the Survivor Lap. I wanted to see if I was ready...and if I could handle it emotionally. If you have never been to a Relay for Life, it's worth it to stop by sometime, even if you're not a "relayer". The atmosphere is like a carnival. Such hope! And all kinds of fundraising happening all over the place! The Relay on Friday night was held at Resurrection High School in Waterloo...and I was anxious and excited and definitely nervous. Not sure why I was nervous...but for some reason I was.
![]() |
| My band of supporters (plus Kelly who took this photo). They arrived in time for the Opening Ceremonies and cheered me on the whole way around the track. They've been cheering for me for the past 10 months, so it felt so right to have them there with me on Friday! That's Brock, me, Matt, Judy & Jodi. |
![]() |
| The first lap of the Relay is for Survivors. They call it the Victory Lap. All the survivors were wearing yellow shirts. They ask the survivors to sign the banner that is at the very start of the relay. It was a little intimidating to write my name down, next to names that said 14 years or 6 years or 10 years cancer free. I just wrote "3 months done treatment!" |
![]() |
| And we're off. Me and my caretaker, Matt! A big cheer from my cheering squad to get me going!! Fists in the air...I truly felt victorious! |
![]() |
| Truly a celebratory walk! They read out the names of the survivors as you make your way around the track. In a big booming voice, Dave (the friendly neighbourhood Schneiderman) said "Susan Langdon". And for some crazy reason, tears came to my eyes. I did it! |
![]() |
| Coming up to the finish line. Matt raised our hands up in victory...it's fitting...we did the lap and for some strange reason, one lap around the track really makes you feel victorious! |
<>A special shout out to Pam and Lisa! For many years, I have counted money at the Relay for Life and this is the first year I participated. Pam and Lisa, my money counting friends, cheered me on with a big loud shout out and cheers from the money counting room as I rounded the track near where they were. They gave me a big wave and a loud hoot to let me know they were cheering me on this year! Thanks girls!! >>>>>>>>
![]() |
| The VERY best supporter a girl could ever ask for. I love you buddy! You make me feel like I can do anything! |
I am now on a gradual return to work schedule...and started back to work on Tuesday morning. I am working tomorrow morning too (I'd better get to bed soon!!). So far so good...of course, I seemed to spend a lot of time on Tuesday morning just getting my bearings again and cleaning up my desk! Hopefully tomorrow I can try to do some "real" work!!
And a special shout out to my Mom. She had cataract surgery on Friday and it's taking her a few days to get her feet under her. Darn surgery triggered a migraine and I know she is feeling rough. Rest lots, Mom. Sending tons of love to you and some healing vibes too!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
2 comments:
Wow, thats emotional Sue! Little teary for you! So proud of you. Such a strong lady!!!!!
Steph xo
WOW I was crying reading this! You are amazing, you know that?
Post a Comment